The Star Wars App lets you take Star Wars with you wherever you go with cool augmented reality experiences, sound effects, the weather on Alderaan and much more.
Here are three of the latest AR experiences you can get with the Star Wars app.
1. Explore A Star Destroyer with Star Destroyer 360°
The Star Destroyer 360° Star Wars augmented reality experience lets you bring a First Order star destroyer to life wherever you are.
To get it simply follow the steps below.
Step 1: Download the latest version of the Star Wars app so it’s version 2.5 or higher. (Available for iPhone and Android only).
Step 2: Open the Star Destroyer 360 portal in the Star Wars app. (You may need to download this portion as it’s a large download. If so, the app will prompt you).
Step 3: Download, print, and scan the image above to activate the AR experience.
2. Jakku Spy – Virtual Reality Experience
You can play this on your phone or with Google Cardboard. Note that it’s 9 large downloads to see the whole thing. Though it’s actually only about 8 minutes long, you can explore the areas indefinitely.
At press time, I couldn’t make it work on my phone. It’s possible that since it was created for The Force Awakens, they’re no longer supporting it. Then again it could just be me. Since it does immerse you in Jakku, it may be worth a try. The video below shows each of the 9 scenes in full.
Ever since 1977, we’ve only watched Star Wars, read Star Wars, or played Star Wars. Now, we can step inside it.
Jakku Spy, a Google Cardboard experience presented by Verizon, is available now on the official Star Wars app, and it’s a new form of Star Wars entertainment. Developed by Lucasfilm’s ILMxLAB studio in conjunction with Google and Verizon, Jakku Spy thrusts you into the role of a Resistance secret agent on Jakku (the desert world from Star Wars: The Force Awakens), envelopes you in stunning virtual reality, and unfolds in a series of story-driven installments. It all leads into Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and there’s never been Star Wars storytelling quite like it.
3. Star Wars Augmented Reality Printable Posters
These are really cool. You can print out these posters, scan them with your phone/tablet, and see an AR BB-8, Storm Trooper, Flame Trooper or K2SO.
Here are the instructions:
- Once you have the Star Wars app installed, click on the AR button. The app will then download the augmented reality posters and animations.
- Once they’re installed on your device, click the AR button again if needed. Then you’ll see the posters.
- You’ll need to print them out so be sure your device is connected to the same internet/router as your printer.
- Click each poster and print it out.
- Scan your first choice. This will reveal 4 characters you can view.
- Click your choice, press play and watch what happens. Feel free to move it around making sure you keep the poster in sight of your device’s camera.
- Once you’ve done the scan, be sure to click the 1,2,3 at the bottom of the screen to view all three animations for each character.
- Tap the Camera button to take a photo. To turn on your camera’s flash, tap the lightning icon in the upper right corner
- Tap and hold the Video Camera button to record a video of the character animation (including sound). (Video recording available only for iOS) Get creative! Try to interact with the character. Release the button to stop recording
- Once you’ve taken your photo or video, you will see 3 buttons — delete, save to your device, or share
I found that the animations lay flat on the poster, so they may look better if you tape the poster to a wall.
Possibly Related Posts:
- The Rise of Skywalker: Sloppy Star Wars Sequel
- Theros Beyond Death: 8 First Impressions (Part 1)
- The Walking Dead: Open Your Eyes
- Wonder Woman 1984 Teaser Reviews
- The Walking Dead: Bonds